Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Priest commits genetic suicide

I'm listening to an episode of the Point of Inquiry podcast in which they interview Dr. Darrel Ray, the author of The God Virus: How religion infects our lives and culture. Yet another book to add to my wish list.

I have not read the book, but from the interview I gather that the book explains the metaphor of religion as a virus. An example is that you tend to get "infected" with the same virus as your parents.

Dr. Ray made a statement that I found particularly interesting. We think of terrorist bombers when we talk about suicide in the context of religion. However, Dr. Ray used the term "genetic suicide" to describe the effect that religion has on Catholic priests and nuns. That is, they voluntarily exclude their genes from the next generation, and every generation thereafter.

[From intelligent-falling.blogspot.com]

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment. I enjoyed doing that interview with DJ. Per the genetic suicide, in the book I also explain the many ways that religion uses sex to propagate itself. I think a good case can be made for saying, "religion is a sexually transmitted disease." There is much to say about the interaction of sex and religion, but it is almost all sex negative - as in the case of nuns and priests. Thanks for your interest.

    Darrel Ray, author of The God Virus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Darrel, you're on the ball! I just posted that about 1 hour ago. Thanks for your comment. I'll read your book soon. I am also starting to write for a blog called Skeptic North (it has a much MUCH higher visibility than this one). Perhaps we can arrange a short Q&A and post it to that blog. Just an idea (I'd have to run it past my colleagues).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be happy to do a Q & A with you. Just let me know.
    Darrel

    ReplyDelete